DISPATCHES, the Design Integration and Synthesis Platform to Advance Tightly Coupled Hybrid Energy Systems, is developed and used to identify and optimize Integrated Energy Systems for operation within the bulk power system via energy market signals.
DISPATCHES is part of the DOE Grid Modernization Laboratory Consortium (GMLC).
Deployment of integrated hybrid energy systems is expected to increase in coming years and no single platform exists for dynamic modeling of these systems as they interact with the bulk power system. DISPATCHES addresses 3 major challenges:
- Conceptual design of novel hybrid systems in a way that enables rigorous exploration of the design space
- Values the output of the hybrid system within the context of the grid and region it is deployed
- Detailed dynamic models coupled with nonlinear model predictive control based on market signals
Open, transparent, multi-lab computational platform to support the design, optimization, and analysis of tightly coupled hybrid systems. DISPATCHES demonstrates and quantifies the benefits of potential hybrid systems based on 3 case studies:
- Coal (existing and Coal FIRST) with energy storage, etc.
- Existing nuclear with hydrogen production and utilization
- Renewables with dispatchable options (batteries, NGCC)
- Build on DOE investments in modeling and simulation capabilities to support a resilient, reliable, and cost-effective bulk power system.
Lead PI: David Miller (NETL)
The DISPATCHES team brings together internationally recognized experts in the fields of Chemical and Process Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Applied Mathematics, and Computer Science.
The lead PI(s) for each institution are in bold.
Idaho National Laboratory
- Cristian Rabiti
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Keith Beattie
- Dan Gunter
National Energy Technology Laboratory (Lead institution)
- David Miller (Lead PI)
- Jaffer Ghouse
- Andrew Lee
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Janine Freeman
- Darice Guittet
- Wesley Jones
- Ben Knueven
- Matthew Reynolds
Sandia National Laboratories
- Darryl Melander
- John Siirola
University of Notre Dame
- Alexander Dowling
- Xian Gao
- Bright Energy
© DISPATCHES project, 2020-2022. All rights reserved. Commercial use prohibited.
DISPATCHES logos are available in the SVG format.